Skip to main content

My 9/11 thoughts on the 20th anniversary

Over the past several weeks, I was often brought back in time to twenty years ago when juggling family responsibilities, work & press requests were my daily reality. We didn't have cows, and our dogs were much smaller and shed a lot less. Our house was a fraction of its size today, and Chuck and I were changing diapers and trying to sleep through the night, not figure out how to get a tire changed in Evanston or help college daughters navigate unvaccinated roommates' overnight guests. While my life has changed dramatically, and the before and after pictures are a vivid illustration of that passage of time, and the media business has been completely transformed, I discovered that my interest in being chronicled by the media remains the same: at best, ambivalent. 

Photo by Cindy Schultz for The New York Times

However, new outlets allow me to frame my own message. So I am sharing the speech as prepared for delivery (I can't ever give it word-for-word, but I hued pretty closely). As the speech begins and has been a huge contradiction in my life: serving in public office was an enormous honor and privilege. My discomfort and complicated relationship with the media don't erase my rock-solid belief that public service is a noble calling, and we need more dedicated, smart Americans taking up its cause. And on the 20th Anniversary of 9/11 my focus was, as all of ours should have been, on the families who lost so much.

My remarks, as prepared for delivery

9/11 Family Remembrance

JFK Library


    "Thank you all for having me here. Serving as your Governor on 9/11 was an

enormous privilege, and being included in today’s event is an even more

meaningful honor. As we assemble here to remember the horrific events of

that morning twenty years ago, we gather amid another time of national

challenge. Once again, the calls for resilience and emerging stronger from

crisis fill the airwaves and populate the speeches of our elected officials.

Once again, we grapple with tragedy and seek deeper understanding from the

unexpected and the unexplained.

    The leadership lessons that emerged from the ashes of New York,

Pennsylvania and suburban Virginia now fill bookstore shelves. They are

case studies in university classes and in the conference rooms of

organizational retreats. They inform how we govern, how we manage, how

we as Americans move through the world. I have certainly incorporated my

own lessons into the work I have done throughout the last two decades. But

to focus on a litany of best practices feels shallow and beside the point.

    What has transformed my life…what has transformed the lives of those

gathered here…and so many others are the quiet, personal acts of generosity

that persisted long after the cameras stopped rolling—acts of grace and

gratitude that 9/11 families brought forth individually and collectively that

showed us the way forward out of tragedy. Those acts of our common

humanity form the most powerful and enduring legacy. I often return to

Martin Luther King Jr.’s wisdom: “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only

light can do that.”

    Today, we are grappling with the darkness of another kind, a pandemic that

has killed more than 600,000 Americans. But the light of our 9/11 families

continues to show us the way forward through this terrible virus and the

suffering it has wrought on families and communities around the globe.

This is especially true for those with connections to Massachusetts. At last

count, a remarkable 54 awards and scholarships have been created in honor

of your loved ones…along with with16 memorial events…19 funds, 14

foundations, even six original music compositions. There are buildings and

peaceful places of contemplation, recreation centers, and playgrounds, all

created for new generations to find joy and inspiration.

    For those struggling now, Rick’s Place in Wilbraham is a lifeline. It was

created in honor of Rick Thorpe, a much-loved husband and father who lost

his life in Tower Two. The staff provides grief support for children and their

families. The Jeff Coombs Foundation, created by Jeff’s wife, Christie, has

raised more than one million dollars over the last two decades for families

facing challenging times due to illness, death, and other challenges that

stretch the family budget. And there are so many others. 

    The generosity of The Peter M. Goodrich Memorial Foundation, which has

worked primarily in the Pashtun provinces of Afghanistan, supporting

education and addressing the fundamental needs of fragile populations, was

started by a family from my neck of the woods in the Berkshires. Or the

family of Patrick Quigley from Wellesley. It was so uplifting to read in the

Wall Street Journal last week about his daughter, Leah, now 19, who is

studying early childhood education in college because she has been inspired

by her mom, Patti, who is the interim executive director of Razia’s Ray of

Hope, an organization committed to educating girls in Afghanistan - and

committed to continuing that work even after the U.S. withdrawal. Like so

many impacted by 9/11, I am also struck by the uncertain future facing many

who remain in Afghanistan. I wish I could offer a guarantee to

them and to all the women and girls in Afghanistan. My heart aches. But as I

did two decades ago, I turn to my faith for sustenance and support. The book

of Romans assures us: “For in hope we were saved. Now hope that sees for

itself is not hope. For who hopes for what one sees?

But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait with endurance.”

Here again, you provide a model for the days ahead. You have waited with

endurance for the last two decades. More than that, though, you have worked

while you waited. You turned grief into giving…tragedy into transformation

for people you will never meet.

I suspect that, like me, on many days, that morning seems like yesterday.

Then I look at my children. The twins, who were infants that day, are now

juniors in college. My toddler is graduating from UMass in a few months. It

feels like a different lifetime. And yet…

**

The great Colombian novelist Gabriel Garcia Marquez wrote: “The essence of a

human being is resistant to the passage of time, Our inner lives are eternal.

Think of love as a state of grace, not the means to anything, but the alpha and

omega. An end in itself.”

***

Thank you for sharing your love with the rest of us, for embodying that state

of grace for the benefit of others. You have honored the memories of your

loved ones with generosity and compassion – with humanity – that transcend

the limits of time and space. What an honor it is to be among you again.

Thank you."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should I write a book or can I just snark blog instead?

For quite a while I have had folks encourage me to write a book. I have no idea if those folks would actually buy a book I wrote but I think I know why they suggest it and I think I know why I haven't done it, although I have always been a little deficient in the self-reflection arena. I secured this website on a lark during some back and forth with college friends on Facebook and have threatened to do a webcast by this name as often as I have been encouraged to write a book. Somewhere along the way and as I've begun to give more speeches again, I started to get more serious about sharing my thoughts in a more public forum and the reality of my (still) really busy life plus my proclivity for posting on social media and preference for sharing pictures of my family has led me to this venue, a blog, as a start. Let's see how this goes! Why I think women want me to write a book. First, if you are or become one of the women who has ever or does ever encourage me to write a b

Grief & Blessings

My family and I have had a pretty tough run this winter. Yet, I know I am so blessed. It is so weird to have a life event that just about every human being experiences (the obvious exception being one my husband has endured of a parent burying their child) and to discover that while you have observed it, and you thought you knew or could appreciate the experience, you really had no clue at all. That is how I feel this week with the death of my Dad. My husband Chuck lost his mom before we met (young) and I helped him through the death of his father. But, I didn't actually know. And, as I have previously confessed, I often struggle to capture the depth of certain emotions and experiences. So, I am not going to try to explain what it feels like -- because I have come to believe that until you have been here you really don't know. And what has also occurred to me is that you also will never know if how you feel is how others feel. I use the word 'feel' intentionally. On

How did you do it???? ....

As a high profile working mom I can't count the number of times I've been asked the "How do you do it" question referring to efforts to succeed as an involved working mother and at my career. The reason this bugs me so much is that I chafe at questions that women get asked that men never get asked. I also think it leaves the impression for younger women that there is something slightly wrong or off about women like me who choose demanding (and fulfilling, rewarding, etc...) careers and family. Also, let's just admit it doesn't take much to irritate women of a certain age, okay? (I can use gendered stereotypes in jest -- that is one of the rules for this blog. I just made it up.) I've written about this before and I've been working through some thoughts related to work and family that I'll write more about later, but recently I've been asked the question in a new context. I started a new job last January and I had to fill out an I9 form so