Skip to main content

Should I write a book or can I just snark blog instead?

For quite a while I have had folks encourage me to write a book. I have no idea if those folks would actually buy a book I wrote but I think I know why they suggest it and I think I know why I haven't done it, although I have always been a little deficient in the self-reflection arena. I secured this website on a lark during some back and forth with college friends on Facebook and have threatened to do a webcast by this name as often as I have been encouraged to write a book. Somewhere along the way and as I've begun to give more speeches again, I started to get more serious about sharing my thoughts in a more public forum and the reality of my (still) really busy life plus my proclivity for posting on social media and preference for sharing pictures of my family has led me to this venue, a blog, as a start. Let's see how this goes!

Why I think women want me to write a book.

First, if you are or become one of the women who has ever or does ever encourage me to write a book then I am going to ask you to come here and comment because this is a question I would like to have you answer as well. My sense is that because I was lucky (and worked hard) enough to achieve some firsts, I had some unique perspectives on issues that continue to resonate with people. Not everyone has both their pregnancies covered in the national media and all their early parenting choices dissected and discussed and often criticized by complete strangers. Secondly, for many women who worked closely with me I believe they saw a strong dissonance between the person they worked with every day and the caricature represented in the media. And while I believe this happens to all public figures, there is and was a strong sense that gender dynamics influenced that coverage and stereotyping in ways that weren't always clear. Often, those super-fans I think are looking for a recasting of my image even more than motivates me although I am human and being thought of as the nasty, self-important, entitled bitch first female acting Governor is tough to swallow. But I also hope mostly that over the past thirty years of my working life most of the encouragement to write a book has come because the support, leadership, advice and at times just comic relief that I have provided to women and men with whom I have worked has proven valuable and they think others might also benefit from my unique approach to leadership.

Why now?

With my kids now launching, it is not only that I perceive and hope that I will have more time and a void to fill but with three daughters heading out into the world I do feel a little more of a responsibility to stick my neck out to try to advance the ball for young and not so young women in the areas of work and family. I also have navigated my daughters through the stage that I most feared which is their coming to grips with my former fame, all that was written and said about me and our family, and I know that they are secure in who I am as their mom and who we are as a family unit and therefore it is okay for me to be a little more out there again, even if (and I hope this isn't the case!) it goes poorly! And, lastly, in this time in our culture and politics where women's voices are being sought in leadership in both the political and business world, and there is more clamor to hear those authentic voices, I feel an obligation to support those women who are putting themselves out there by raising my voice again in some way in the arena.

So, on election day 2018 .... I think I am going to go public a little bit and start blogging. Let's see how it goes. Could be a one and done. Could be the beginning of a platform for more engagement and maybe even a book. As my new favorite sports phrase says, "Let's gooooooo!"

.... oh yeah, there will definitely be some mention of sports.

Comments

  1. Jane - I winced every time I saw those scathing observations about what should have been one of the happiest and most exciting times in your life. At an age where I was beginning to form my political opinions those detractors made me lose a lot of respect for them.

    I applaud you putting yourself out there. You paved the way for so many that have followed in your footsteps and you continue to do so. Where once I thought "she's so brave taking this heat and not backing down" to "she's so inspiring" be it from your adventures as a mother of 3, your obsession with cross-fit or your never-ending efforts to just make the world a better place.

    Book or Blog makes no difference to me, I'd buy the book for sure. Just know that you are still inspiring people every day and that any mention of sports is OK by me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have to subscribe to this to keep up with you? Snark intended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have an empty nest, so you must have time right? It is what I am counting on!!! I am also hoping to do more yoga.

      Delete
  3. Write the book, I will buy it! Everyone deserves the perspective I get from you over an iced tea at lunch, a glass of wine at dinner, or text while sitting on our respective couches eating popcorn and cheering on another Boston championship team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also you'd tell me to write the book....correction demand relentless actually :)

      Delete
    2. I am a relentless promoter of talented, popcorn eating women. Often when they don't see all the talents they themselves possess. It is a gift I have.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this. I too have battled the weight issue my entire life. As a kid i was a chunky little jock then it expanded to an older bigger jock. Multiple back and knee surgeries have made it even more difficult to exercise hence eaiser to gain weight. I had a knee replacement 4 weeks ago & I'm working really hard with that rehab, which is going well and hoping this is the begining of getting healthier. I have about 10 years on you but I admire your commitment to getting & staying healthy. Thanks for honest truth of how difficult it really is. Most people don't get it. Thanks for the incentive.... I'm off to the veggie aisle of the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How did you do it???? ....

As a high profile working mom I can't count the number of times I've been asked the "How do you do it" question referring to efforts to succeed as an involved working mother and at my career. The reason this bugs me so much is that I chafe at questions that women get asked that men never get asked. I also think it leaves the impression for younger women that there is something slightly wrong or off about women like me who choose demanding (and fulfilling, rewarding, etc...) careers and family. Also, let's just admit it doesn't take much to irritate women of a certain age, okay? (I can use gendered stereotypes in jest -- that is one of the rules for this blog. I just made it up.) I've written about this before and I've been working through some thoughts related to work and family that I'll write more about later, but recently I've been asked the question in a new context. I started a new job last January and I had to fill out an I9 form so

Grief & Blessings

My family and I have had a pretty tough run this winter. Yet, I know I am so blessed. It is so weird to have a life event that just about every human being experiences (the obvious exception being one my husband has endured of a parent burying their child) and to discover that while you have observed it, and you thought you knew or could appreciate the experience, you really had no clue at all. That is how I feel this week with the death of my Dad. My husband Chuck lost his mom before we met (young) and I helped him through the death of his father. But, I didn't actually know. And, as I have previously confessed, I often struggle to capture the depth of certain emotions and experiences. So, I am not going to try to explain what it feels like -- because I have come to believe that until you have been here you really don't know. And what has also occurred to me is that you also will never know if how you feel is how others feel. I use the word 'feel' intentionally. On